"God's Voice is as gentle as a summer breeze"
Hearing God's voice is something we all long for. In fact, He wants us to hear His voice! Hearing His voice is natural. He speaks to us in the natural moments of life.
My own experience:
The truth can be rather boring, but none the less miraculous. My own spiritual transformation began when I was at my bottom, and I had no hope in sight. I heard God speak to me that night saying “you are an alcoholic, and you need help”. This was a miracle. I was one of the fortunate ones who’s miracle was immediate, I surrendered and the desire for drink was taken away. I put myself into treatment. I no longer needed to “self medicate”, the desire and compulsion had been removed. I have become happy, which was unbelievable to me 28 years ago.
I took the necessary steps professed in the “Big Book” and went on my own journey to find out who this God was. I read numerous books and researched all the religions of the world. I was searching for enlightenment.
The quest I was on was for enlightenment, little did I know or understand what would happen on my journey. I had thought that I would just become a “better” person, a “good girl”. I had been sober for a number of years, studying and moving closer to this God of my understanding, when I hit that Dark Night of the Soul, which was 2 years of spiritual darkness, and I was alone in the “desert”. I had no idea of what was happening to me. The time it took to get to the other side was another 2 years. I functioned and went through my normal life, but I knew I was different, it was unlike anything I had ever experienced before or since it was impossible to put into words.
Once I did get to the other side I found that I had truly been transformed beyond the recovery of alcoholism. There are many things that were revealed to me during my own spiritual awakening, which was a realization or opening to a sacred dimension of reality. It has had a lasting effect on my life. It was liberation and enlightenment, there was a real transformation.
I have had 2 other awakenings since, although brief in nature, where I came in contact with the Transcendent. They have occurred at the times where I was hopeless and helpless and my faith was in disarray. I do believe we do experience spiritual awakenings more than once. Those great “AHA” periods when knowledge revealed that is unattainable through human endeavor.
God's voice is like a gentle summer breeze, but it can also be like a kick in the pants.
We seek to be at peace, and it is always darkest before the storm, I let God in and He revealed Himself to me.
View the world famous "Interview with God" video
Twelve Basic Signs of a Spiritual Awakening:
- An increased tendency to let things happen rather that make them happen.
- Frequent attacks of smiling.
- Feelings of being connected with others and nature.
- Frequent overwhelming episodes of appreciation.
- A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than from fear.
- An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.
- A loss of ability to worry.
- A loss of interest in conflict.
- A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.
- A loss of interest in judging others.
- A loss of interest in judging oneself.
- Gaining the ability to love without expecting anything in return.
Additional Signs of a Spiritual Awakening:
- Changing sleep patterns
- Activity in the brain-feeling thinking process
- Sudden waves of emotion
- Old memories surface
- Changes in weight, changes in eating habits
- Amplification of the senses
- Episodes of intense energy which make you want to leap out of bed and into action
- Looking younger
- Vivid dreams
- Events that completely alter your life
- Emotional and mental confusion
- Creativity bursts
- A perception that time is accelerating
- A deep yearning for meaning, purpose, spiritual connection, and revelation
- A feeling that you are somehow different
- You find a spiritual track that makes sense to you and "speaks to you" at the most profound levels
- You are moving through learning and personal issues at a rapid pace.
- Increased integrity
- Increased synchronicity and many small miracles
- Increased intuitive abilities and altered states of consciousness
- Communication with Spirit
- A sense of oneness with all moments of joy and bliss
- Living on purpose
- Seeing a persons true form, or seeing someone before you actually meet him/her
- Physically manifesting thoughts and desires more quickly and efficiently
- A deep longing to go "Home"
- Feelings of “apartness”, even when in the company of others
- There is Increased "self talk"
- Crying for no apparent reason
- Extreme tiredness